Confession of a Japanese salary man; I am working 16 hours a day ー Japanese work style


I am Japanese. If you have a common sense, it would be natural for you to think that working 13 hours a day is definitely crazy. If I start working at 9:00 in the morning, at least I must not get out of my office until the clock indicates 22:00 pm, which means I have no time to do anything but working in ordinary days.

Against this lifestyle, I've gotten impressions of "crazy" or "unbelievable" hearing from foreign people who probably might think I should work moderately every day enough to enjoy my life.

In my opinion, I have a feeling that something is out of place in that kind of impressions personally.

In my business, I have many chances to communicate with foreign people who are awfully crazy about working. When I mail to a American business man, he replies to me as swiftly as the mail reachs to my mail box for a minutes or less. English business man unbelievably mailed to me around 3 o'clock in the morning. I have no idea whey they go to bed. Foreign staffs working in my partner company come to their office even on holidays. I always feel edgy mood from them as if I try to go out for lunch on my breaks then they will ask me if I have enough time to eat lunch outside.

But, one thing I have to make sure about their work style is they are crazy about working at the same time they extremely make a profit and earn money. Foreign people around me working desperately make a extremely big money incomparable with people working as a management consultant.

Their work is of great worth and our business doesn't work without their values they're making by working desperately so we pay money for their values and we count on their results all the time.

Additionally, their way of looking at job is more businesslike than Japanese and there should be a tacit agreement during foreign workers not to try to apply some kinds of irrational behavior and tradition existing in Japanese society to those of whom is even employed by Japanese company. Probably This is the factor their happiness of nations is much more different than Japanese worker's.

My boss is always saying he wants to die; nevertheless he tries to work to death. I always doubt me if I am afflicted with depression. Sometimes when I look at my face reflected in a mirror I am worried enough to become 5 times uglier than I used to go to university.

I work abroad now. No overtime payments are made to me. Converted into hourly rate equivalent, my salary costs thousands column or less yen per hour. Actually I don't understand what my life is.

I'm working for more than 16 hours a day every day.

I got email from my boss and it said I must check my mailbox throughout all the time in the early morning, daytime and midnight. Well this thing drove my feeling to make up my mind to quit this job as soon as possible.