Japanese greatest lego builder honorably approved by Lego Group

When I was a child, Lego is one of great tools to shape up my idea swiftly at the moment I came up with idea so I always had pieces of lego blocks in my hand to think out ideas of what I wanted to build up.

Total amount of pieces of lego bricks appeared in the world market is said to be several hundred billion now. Lego provides us unlimited way we can enjoy to attract and stimulate our creativity from children to adults. What kind of world would you see through creating works by lego if you were a lego artist?

A man who is a lego artist is enthusiastic about creating lego works as surrounded with hundreds of boxes which thousands of pieces of lego bricks put into day and night. He works in office located in basement floor of an apartment in Stagaya wards in Tokyo.

Junpei Mitsuis is the only one official lego creator as "pro-builder" approved by Lego Group. He is developing his own business with lego works. In April, he retired from a steelmaker which he had worked for 3 years and established lego artistic design company named "Mitsui brick studio". He creates works by requests from companies.

His major work is a white tiger. The total full length is 60cm. Total amount of bricks he used to make this work is around 5000 pieces. I doubt my eyes that this work is really made by bricks but his work is more like artistic sculpture because its majestic presence I can feel from this work is the same as an artistic sculpture.

He said "Computed tomography system is already built into my brain so I always run this CT to scan the image of works in my brain in advance. For example if cutting in half humans body like I can imagine that cutting section is going to be the shape of ellipse immediately. One different thing from ordinary CT system is that my system can move not only vertically but horizontally."

He can find a clue to shape up the idea of what he built up by analyzing data acquired by his CT scan in his brain.

He also has strong preferences to create works. " When making a curve or a curved surface, I want to use quadrilateral bricks as much as possible. I think the ultimate attraction of making lego works is by using simple quadrilateral bricks. "

He express creating bricks as "integral calculus". When he create a work of a white tiger 90 percent of parts was pieces of basic quadrilateral bricks.