I will not be able to get used to American food culture

American's food is rough and american don't even care much about what they eat every day. Occasionally I visit my supplier (manufacture) to make arrangements for suggesting new product to my clients in Japan and negotiate its price so I have many opportunity to communicate with factory workers working in the manufacturer when I observe the production line of new product. With Japanese common sense towards everyday meal, I felt what they ate was terrible. I don't mean to say they don't even have much money to eat good food but it looked they were not totally interested in what they ate. Probably they thought food is something like feed or gasoline to just save their energy in the mean time. They don't care about its taste and nutrition at all. This way of thinking penerated even upper management. They ate peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches, just chips, just cut fruits, just salad, just soup, just muffin during their lunch time. I can't endure this kind of meal at lunchtime at all. The only lunch one of them eat I felt that was good taste and nutrient balance was fried veges noodle for a Chinese take-away.

Actually amount of time factory worker can take for lunch time is just 30 minutes and other break times they can take is twice and just 10 minutes of each two break times so I know they don't even have enough time to eat . That's why they make a choice of light food they are able to eat with their one hand more easily and faster. However, in my sense, even if time I can take for lunchtime is 30 minutes, I want to enjoy a good food at least, which can perfectly cheer me up to raise my motivation toward my work next round from noon.

I really wonder how they can keep their motivation towards their simple task while working all day long in factory without a enjoyment of food. And I looked up information of American food culture from the viewpoint of religion

When I describe roughly the roots of religion existing in the United States, which comes to be Catholic and Protestant.

Protestant is reflected social contract and catholic is reflected local community. In the aspects of food culture, friars make beer, wine, butter and cheese from way back in areligious houses. On the other hand, protestant seems to think there should be much more important things than good foods or clothes.

I will introduce the percentage of catholic and protestant in western countries.
  • France = protestant 2%, catholic 90%
  • German = protestant 34%, catholic 31%
  • Italy = catholic 100%
  • England = the Anglican Church 45%, rome catholic 15%
  • The United States = protestant 51%, catholic 24%


The details of races existing in the United States are European 71%, African 12%, Hispanic  9% and the others.
The most of European immigrants in the United States is from England, German and Ireland. German immigrants based on Germanic races and English immigrants based on the Anglo‐Saxons are almost protestant. Irish is catholic.

At present, many races are mixed up in the society of the United States and there is no outstanding gap or difference on culture level.
African has soul food, hispanic has spanish food and Chinese has Chinese takeaway, typical catholic cuisine is Irish food.

Above those data says typical americans are protestant.
"Little House in the Big Woods" which depicted Pioneer Days of the United States around more than 100 years ago is a story of a family of Irish immigrants. In one scene, there is depiction of making homemade type preserved food to overcome upcoming winter season and homemade pickles and strawberry jam. During tea time rhubarb pie is prepared on the table. The americans who inherit this lifestyle and roots love cooking.

In american food culture circumstance, people who love cook or don't are clearly divided. People who don't like cooking just thaw frozen meal, rely on catering service and eat out or repeating cornflakes, sandwich and pasta or pizza every day. One of them doesn't even know how to use knives.
I'm sorry but I can't accept the protestant food culture. I want to enjoy my life.