I am Japanese but I want to speak English in Japan.

When you talk to somebody who you meet for the first time do you become nervous to keep talking? If so, would you conclude it's because you're shy? Of cause it can be.


But in case of me. My character will be totally different between when I speak English and when I speak Japanese.

I think the human's behavior is going to be different depending on the features that each languages have so I believe language has power to change humans behavior and even their character when talking to somebody.

I feel sometimes I would like to use English to approach to someone whom I meet for the first time than using Japanese when I join a party or some events even though I am Japanese who lives Japan.

I want to say if you want to be more friendly to people you should use English and if you want to keep distance from people and treat them as complete stranger in polite manner you should use Japanese.

What I want to say is when I speak English, I can behave much closer to someone I really don't know and I really feel free to talk to stranger passing me by when walking down the street but in case of Japanese, strong hesitation is generated by using too much polite expression and this keeps me from going over a line between approaching somebody completely as stranger and approaching somebody as familiar friend when I talk to somebody whom I meet for the first time so I naturally try to keep an appropriate distance from them not to try to step in their territory even though they have a feeling of friendship to me in their mind, I assume that behaving like this is more comfortable to them.

So When I speak Japanese, this hesitation interferes my act of feeling free to talk with somebody that I don't know. I always care about how I can behave towards this man without giving them any rude impression and to avoid from too much friendliness. And make sure how politely I should be to the people.

Because I think Japanese people tend to believe that behaving polite way to communicate is best way to keep good company with and respect each other all the time.

I think each languages are reflected by the unique habit cultivated in the country for a long time history. So there should be unique expressions that only people in the country can understand and create the best atmosphere to communicate with each other in that community. What I want to say is that people will tend to behave like the character the language has and its mood which is made out of unique expressions.

For example

When you say hi you can feel free to use this expression everywhere to people among wide rage of genelations although people you're going to speak to is complete stranger.

I feel totally no resistance to hear this expression from anybody anywhere. I'd rather feel most welcome to be spoken hi to me by someone.

But I don't come up with the appropriate Japanese word which means similar to "hi".

Speaking of "Hi" which is usually translated as Konnichiwa or domo

In case of konnnichiwa, which is mcuh more polite and humble way to speak to somebody whom you greet with every day.

Domo is not wrong translation and this is indeed more casual way of greeting however it seems to me that I can catch the nuance of still making a little bit distance between people like using when it is long time no see for each other or meeting for the first time.

Even this simple expression which is used every day conversation in Japan, when I talk to somebody, I will feel like stepping backward to make a distance to observe their feeling and not to invade their private territory in conversation.

In short I try to gauge people's feeling.

When comparing both two language, delicate difference of nuance come out clear and we can understand the difference of how we feel when using these expressions which is defined as same meaning in the dictionary.

"hi" is quite powerful item to get people's relationship closer.

"konnichiwa or domo" is quite polite way to greet and sometimes I am getting the feeling of avoiding from getting trouble as greeting. Just by looking, nobody will feel a bad impression they receive humble manner of behavior from someone. You feel definitely emotional distance if you speak to people who communicate this way.

If you keep this behavior towards people the relationship between you and him or her will not be close like they are to become more than acquaintance but less than friend for you.

I think there is a deep historical background.

Well, I love Japan and this is my country where I was born and raised up. but when I look back my communication with people from my entire life in Japan, I have been feeling very much stifling and frustrating to what I couldn't get close relationship to someone whom I actually wanted to be friend with in my deep mind. Of course, this has strongly something to do with my shy character, however, I could make a lot of friends when I used to work In NewZealand 3years ago and I have been still keeping in touch with them even now. Now I am making living in Japan. I actually have few friends to chat with closely. I haven't seen my childhood friend for long time and I have no idea how I can approach them. I need to approach in polite way or casual way........